(A Heart Immovable)
The earliest records of the Hussey line start about 940 AD. Husseys were originally Scandinavians. As they moved through Europe they became Danes who invaded northern France and, settling there, adapted to the French language and customs and were then called Normans. The Hussey family name is said to have been Touasi de Hosa. German and French versions render it as de Hoese and de Hosey. In early medieval England the name Hussey was usually spelled Hose. In the Latin form it was Hosatus. During the thirteenth century it tended to evolve into Hoese, later to Huse and Husee and ultimately to Hussey. In the Irish language Hussey is Mac Eodhasa (mack-oh-saa) masculine and Nic Eodhasa (nic-oh-saa) feminine.
The earliest claimed progenitor of the Hussey family in Normandy is Hugh Hussey who in 1014 was married to a daughter of the third Earl of Normandy, who is conjectured to be a descendant of Rollo of Normandy.
It is believed that children born to Hugh Hussey included:
William Hussey born about 1030
Walter, William, and John Hussey accompanied William the Conqueror in his invasion of England and participated in the Battle of Hastings in 1066. It is suggested that Walter Hussey was given land in Somersetshire as his portion of the spoils of conquest. He and his brother, William were listed as residents in the vicinity of Bath, Somersetshire in the "Domesday Book" compiled in 1088. Walter Hussey held Little Sutton manor "of William de Mohun," according to the volume.
From England Hugh de Hoese came to Ireland in 1169 serving under Maurice Fitzgerald. The first Husseys in Ireland settled in Meath and Roscommon about this time. Galtrim became the principal seat in Meath and the title Baron of Meath was created for the family. Hugh Hussey, Baron of Meath was a member of the Irish Parliament in 1294.
Walter Hussey married the granddaughter of Gregory Hoare and so inherited Castle Gregory on the north side of the Dingle peninsula. This castle was built by Hoare in 1550. When the castle was attacked by Cromwells forces Hussey escaped with the castle garrison over the mountains to Minard Castle on the south side of the Dingle peninsula. Minard castle was then blown up and Hussey and all his followers were killed. After the war the surviving members of the Hussey family were reduced to poverty.
The Hussey family in Ireland is associated primarily with County Kerry. The name is most common in Dingle, Castleisland, and Sneem. In Dingle the name is well known. The town of Dingle is Daingean ni Cushy in Irish, many people believe this to mean Fortress of Hussey.
Charles Smith accepts Fort of Hussey as the meaning of the name. He
writes: "The Irish formerly called it, Daingean ni Cushy i.e. the
fortress or castle of Hussey, an old English family, to whom one of the
Fitzgeralds, Earls of Desmond, had formerly granted a considerable tract
of land in these parts: viz. from Castle-Drum to Dingle; and others say,
he gave him as much as he could walk over in his jack-boots in one day'.
(Pp. 175-6). 'Hussey built a castle here, which is said to have been the
first that was erected in this place. ..'This castle, later known as the
Market House, figured prominently in the life of Dingle in the sixteenth
century. It was situated where Fitzgerald Brothers premises (formerly
Atkins) now stand in Main Street